If you are from Kerala, or live in Kerala rather, you would know, eggs and anything related to poultry were a complete no-no, thanks to a 'bird flu' outbreak. So, my lil' K asked for a chocolate cake one of those days and I started hunting for good eggless chocolate cake recipe, and as usual was finding it difficult to settle on one.
It was then that coincidentally, the 'Vanitha' magazine, carried in it's latest edition an eggless chocolate cake recipe. This was an easy decision as the other couple of recipes I looked at required condensed milk, and I didn't have any.
This is a very simple recipe. Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients together in another bowl, then mix and off to the oven. Couldn't get simpler right? The original recipe uses an accentuation of an orange butter cream icing. I wasn't sure if K would like it, so I omitted the oranges in the recipe.
The case was dark and moist and had good flavour. I would definitely recommend this.
What you need
1. All-Purpose Flour - 200 gms
Powdered Sugar - 200 gms
Cocoa Powder - 4 tbsp
Soda Bi-Card - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
2. Vegetable Oil - 5 tbsp
Vanilla Essence - 1 tspake tin
White Vinegar - 1 tsp
Water - 250 ml
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 deg Cel
2. Grease and Line a 13x 23 cm loaf tin or a 20 cm diameter round cake tin
3. Sift all the dry ingredients together (1)
4. Make a small hole in the middle of the dry ingredients; Add the wet ingredients (2) here and mix till well-combined.
5. Transfer this to your cake tin and bake for 30-35 mins or till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean
Orange Butter Icing
What you need
Unsalted Butter - 125gms
Icing Sugar - 250 gms
Orange Juice - 2 tbsp
Orange Zest - 1 orange
1. Beat the butter and half of the icing sugar well
2. Now add the remaining Icing Sugar along with the orange juice and beat well
3. Now add the orange zest and mix with a light hand
4. Slice your cake into 2, horizontally, and add your icing; spread it well.
5. Sandwich the layers and apply icing on the outside as well
Recipe Source: Vanitha Magazine